About our test
A Y chromosome test (Y-STR Test) is used to determine if males share the same paternal lineage. This test offered by easyDNA Ireland is highly accurate and will give a clear yes or no answer.
The Y chromosome is inherited and passed on from father to son. It has a relatively infrequent mutation rate and remains unchanged from generation to generation. If a direct male line can be traced, all males in that direct male lineage will have identical Y chromosome patterns (if they are truly blood relatives). Important to note that only males can do a Y chromosome test. Females do not have Y chromosomes.
Why would I need a Y chromosome test?
- In cases where paternity is in question and the alleged father is not available for a paternity test, a Y chromosome test between the alleged father’s child and another paternal male relative can solve the issue.
- A Y chromosome test between male relatives can help confirm biological relationships as male blood relatives from the same paternal line will have a common Y chromosome pattern.
- In Immigration cases, one can use the Y test to prove a biological relationship between males. A DNA test can help hasten immigration procedures under some circumstances.
- In adoption cases, children grow up wanting to find their biological or “birth” families can use a Y test to confirm their relationship to their suspected biological father.
How do I order my test?
- Go to our order page and select the Y Chromosome option.
- Place your order, process payment and wait for your DNA test kit, which you can complete in the comfort and privacy of your own home.
- Following our easy-to-use instructions and kit, collect the DNA samples and send them for testing.
Once the DNA samples are returned to our office in Dublin, you will receive your comprehensive DNA analysis report in 5-7 working days. The price for the Y Chromosome Test is €299.
Note: We can only guarantee standard result turnaround time when testing takes place solely using oral swab samples. Using a forensic sample for your test may lead to an increase in turnaround time.
Why not consult a genetic counsellor about your results?
Our genetic counsellor is ideal if you have any concerns about your DNA test results. They can understand and interpret all aspects of your results, helping you understand any technical language you do not know, answer all your questions or simply explain the results to you. Once you have ordered the service, our genetic counsellor will get in touch with you to organize the date and time of the actual call. The session discussing your results will take place via Skype. Genetic counselling is available at an additional fee.